2108B School of Education
610 East University AvenueAnn Arbor, MI 48109-1259
Tel: (734) 647-8366
- Stephanie Lluis and Brian P. McCall, forthcoming. "Employment and Job Search Implications of the Extended Weeks and Working While on Claim Pilot Initiatives," Canadian Public Policy/Analyse de politiques.
- Brian P. McCall and Elizabeth M. Starr, 2018, “Effects of Autism Spectrum Disorder on Parental Employment in the United States: Evidence from the National Health Interview Survey,” Community, Work, & Family, 21(4):367-392.
- Brian Jacob, Brian McCall and Kevin M. Stange, 2018. "College as Country Club: Do Colleges Cater to Students’ Preferences for Consumption?" Journal of Labor Economics , 36(2):309-348.
- Brian P. McCall, Jeffrey Smith, and Connie Wunsch, 2016 ,"Government Sponsored Vocational Education for Adults" Handbook of the Economics of Education Vol. 5 , E. Hanushek, S. Machin, and L.Woessmann (Ed) North-Holland.
- Robert Toutkousian, Donald Hossler, Stephen L. DesJardins, Brian McCall, and Manuel Gonzalez Canche, 2015, "The Effect of Participating in Indiana’s Twenty-first Century Scholars Program on College Enrollments", Review of Higher Education, 39(1):59-95.
- Jeongeun Kim, Jiyun Kim, Stephen L. DesJardins and Brian P. McCall, 2015, "Taking Algebra II in High School: Does it Increase College Access and Success?", Journal of Higher Education , 86(4):628-662.
- Stephen L. DesJardins and Brian P. McCall, 2014, "The impact of the Gates Millennium Scholars Program on college and post-college related choices of high ability, low-income minority students," Economics of Education Review, 38:124-138.
- Fredrik Andersson, Elizabeth Davis, Matthew L. Freedman, Julia I. Lane, Brian P. McCall, L. Kristin Sandusky, 2012, “Decomposing the Sources of Earnings Inequality: Assessing the Role of Reallocation,” Industrial Relations, 51(4): 779-810.
- Brian P. McCall and Robert Bielby, 2012, “Regression Discontinuity Design: Recent Developments and a Guide to Practice for Researchers in Higher Education,” in John Smart and Michael Paulsen (Ed.) Higher Education: Handbook of Theory and Research XXVII, 249-290.
- Stephen L. DesJardins, Brian P. McCall, Molly Ott and Jiyun Kim, 2010 "A Quasi-Experimental Investigation of How the Gates Millennium Scholars Program Affects College Students’ Time Use and Activities," Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 32(4):456-475.
- Stephen L. DesJardins, and Brian P. McCall, 2010, "Simulating the Effects of Financial Aid Packages on
College Student Stopout, Reenrollment Spells, and
Graduation Chances," Review of Higher Education, 33:513-541.
Avner Ben-Ner, Brian P. McCall, Massoud Stephane, and Hua Wang, 2009, “Identity and In-Group and Out-Group Differentiation in Work and Giving Behaviors: Experimental Evidence,” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 72: 153-170.
- David Card and Brian P. McCall, 2009, “When to Start a Fight and When to Fight Back: Liability Disputes in the Worker’s Compensation System,” Journal of Labor Economics, 27:149-178.
- Stephen L. DesJardins, Dennis A. Ahlburg, and Brian P. McCall, 2006, "The Effects of Interrupted Enrollment on Graduation from College: Racial, Income, and Ability Differences," Economics of Education Review 25:575-590.
- Stephen L. DesJardins, Dennis A. Ahlburg, and Brian P. McCall, 2002, "Simulating the Longitudinal Effects of Changes in Financial Aid on Student Departure from College," Journal of Human Resources 37:653-679.
- Steve DesJardins, Dennis Ahlburg, Brian P. McCall, 1999, "An Event History Model of Student Departure," Economics of Education Review 18:375-390.
- Brian P. McCall, 1997, "The Determinants of Full-time Versus Part-time Re-employment Following Job Displacement," Journal of Labor Economics 15:714-734.
- John W. Budd and Brian P. McCall, 1997, "The Effect of Unions on the Receipt of Unemployment Insurance Benefits," Industrial and Labor Relations Review 50:478-491.
- Brian P. McCall, 1996, "Unemployment Insurance Rules, Joblessness, and Part-time Work," Econometrica 64:647-682.
- David Card and Brian P. McCall, 1996, "Is Workers' Compensation Covering Uninsured Medical Costs? Evidence from the 'Monday Effect,'" Industrial and Labor Relations Review 49:690-706.
- Brian P. McCall, 1994, "Testing the Proportional Hazards Model in the Presence of Unmeasured Heterogeneity," Journal of Applied Econometrics 9:321-334.
- Brian P. McCall, 1994, "Specification Diagnostics for Duration Models: A Martingale Approach," Journal of Econometrics 60:293-312.
- Brian P. McCall, 1994, "The Effect of Job Heterogeneity on Reservation Wages," International Economic Review 35:773-791.
- Brian P. McCall, 1990, "Occupational Matching: A Test of Sorts," Journal of Political Economy 98:45-70.
- Brian P. McCall and John J. McCall, 1987, "A Sequential Study of Migration and Job Search," Journal of Labor Economics 5:452-476.
- Benjamin Alcott and Brian McCall, 2016, "Did the Education Maintenance Allowance Increase Enrollment in Post-16 Education?" mimeo.
- Stephanie Lluis and Brian McCall, 2015, "Employment Insurance Changes and Post-unemployment Outcomes: Evidence from the Canadian Labour Force Survey 2000-2010," mimeo.
- Paco Martorell, Brian McCall and Isaac McFarlin, 2014, "Do Public Tuition Subsidies Promote College Enrollment? Evidence From Community College Taxing Districts In Texas," Working Papers 14-32, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Brian P. McCall and Benjamin M. Alcott, 2014, “University Access in England: Selectivity and Subject Choice,” University of Michigan, mimeo.
- Brian P. McCall and Alfredo Sosa, 2012, “The Effect of Course Taking Behavior During High School on Academic Achievement and College Access and Choice,” University of Michigan, mimeo.
- Brian P. McCall and John J.McCall, 2008, The Economics of Search. Routledge: London.
- Co-editor, Economics of Education Review, 2007-
Current Dissertation Committees
- Andres Martinez, Education, co-chair
- Meghan Osler, Education, member
- Christine Tracy, Education, member
- Xiaoyang Ye, Education, member
Recently Completed PhD's
- Angela Vidal-Rodriguez,Education, 2018, member (Northeastern Illinois University)
- Matt DeMonbrun, Education, 2018, member, (SMU, Institutional Research)
- Gail Lucasan, Economics, 2018, member (PricewaterhouseCoopers)
- Meredith Billings, Education, 2018 member (University of Georgia Post-Doc)
- Julian Hsu, Economics, 2017, member (College Board)
- Alfredo Sosa, Economics, 2017, co-chair (SOLO World Partners, LCC)
- Emily House, Education, 2017, chair (Tennessee Higher Education Commission)
- Katie Lim, Economics, 2016, member (Office of Tax Analysis, U.S. Dept. of Treasury)
- Sania Zaidi, Education, 2016, member (University of Chicago, Illinois, Post-doc)
- Mark Wiederspan, Education, 2015, member (Arizona State University)
- Benjamin Alcott, Education, 2015, chair (University of Cambridge)
- Anna Kroth, Education, 2015, co-chair (Humboldt Universitat Zu Berlin)
- Michelle Reicher, Education, 2014, member (University of Pittsburgh, Post-doc)
- David Knapp, Economics, 2014, member, (Rand Corporation)
- Uniko Chen, Economics, 2014, member, (Mercer)
- Breno Braga, Economics, 2014, member, (Urban Institute)
- Krystal Williams, Education, 2014, member, (AERA Post-doc Fellow at ETS)
- James Webb, Education, 2014, member (University of the Pacific)
- Laura Zimmerman, Economics, 2014, member (University of Georgia)
- Dan Leeds, Economics, 2013, co-chair (Michigan Department of Education)
- Pawel Krolikowski, Economics, 2013, member (Institute for Social Research, Post-doc)
- Italo Gutierrez, Economics, 2013, member (Rand Corporation)
- Elena Spatoulas Patel, Economics, 2013, member (Office of Tax Analysis, U.S. Dept. of Treasury)
- Ryan Nunn, Economics, 2012, member (Office of Economic Analysis, U.S. Dept. of Treasury)
- Joe Waddington, Education, 2012, chair (University of Kentucky)
- William MacMillan, Political Science, 2012, member (Washington University, St. Louis, Post-doc)
- Jongyearn Lee, Economics, 2012, member (Korea Development Institute)
- Jiyun Kim, Education, 2011, chair (Ministry of Education, Science & Technology, Korea)
- Molly Ott, Education, 2011, member (Arizona State University)
- Ozan Jaquette, Education, 2011, member (University of Arizona)
- Todd Pugatch, Economics, 2011, chair (Oregon State University)
- Lijing Yang, Education, 2011, member (University of Georgia, Post-doc)
- Stephan Lindner, Economics, 2011, member (Urban Institute)