Pictured from left: Gyorgy Barabas, Rosalyn Rael, Annette Ostling, Susanna Messinger, Rafael D`Andrea.
Ostling Lab Publications
(*Postdoc advised by Ostling, **Graduate Student advised by Ostling, ***Undergraduate Student advised by Ostling)
1. D’Andrea, R**, M Riolo, and A Ostling (2019) Generalizing clusters of similar species as a signature of coexistence under competition. PLoS Computational Biology 15:e1006699. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1006688
2. Rael, R *, R D’Andrea**, G Barabás **, and A Ostling (2018) Emergent niches lead to greater differences between niche and neutral species abundance distributions. Ecology 99:1633-1643. DOI: 10.1002/ecy.2238
3. D’Andrea, R, J O’Dwyer, and A Ostling (2018) Translucent windows: how uncertainty in competitive interactions impacts detection of community pattern. Ecology Letters 21:826-835. DOI: 10.1111/ele.12946
4. Kunin, W, J Harte, F He, C Hui, RT Jobe, A Ostling, C Polce, A Sizling, AB Smith, K Smith, SM Smart, D Storch, E Tjørve, K-I Ugland, W Ulrich, V Varma (2017) Upscaling biodiversity: estimating the species-area relationship from small samples. Ecological Monographs 88: 170-187. DOI: 10.1002/ecm.1284
5. D’Andrea, R** and A Ostling (2017) Biodiversity maintenance may be lower under partial niche differentiation than under neutrality. Ecology 98:3211-3218. DOI: 10.1002/ecy.2020.
6. D’Andrea, R** and A Ostling (2016) Challenges in linking trait patterns to niche processes. Oikos 125:1369. DOI: 10.1111/oik.02979.
7. Fukami T, Mordecai EA, and A Ostling (2016) A framework for priority effects. Journal of Vegetation Science 27: 655-657. DOI: 10.1111/jvs.12434
8. D’Andrea, R** and A Ostling (2016) Can clustering in genotype space reveal "niches"? American Naturalist 187:130-135. DOI:10.1086/684116.
9. Barabás, G**, L Pásztor, G Meszéna and A Ostling (2014) Community-wide sensitivity analysis: theory and application. Ecology Letters (Ideas & Perspectives piece) 17:1479-1494 DOI:10.1111/ele.12350 pdf
10. Marquet PA, AP Allen, JH Brown, J Dunne, BJ Enquist, J Gillooly, PA Gowaty, JL Green, D Storch, J Harte, SP Hubbell, J O`Dwyer, J Okie, M Ritchie, A Ostling, and GB West (2014) On theory in ecology. Bioscience 64:701-710. DOI:10.1093/biosci/biu098 pdf
12. Messinger, S** and A Ostling (2013) Predator evolution in space: Novel effects of predator and prey ecology on the predator`s attack rate. Theoretical Population Biology 89:55-63. DOI: 10.1016/j.tpb.2013.08.003 pdf supplemental supplemental animation 1 supplemental animation 2 supplemental animation 3
14. Barabás, G**, R D’Andrea**, R Rael*, G Meszéna, and A Ostling (2013) Emergent neutrality or hidden niches? Oikos 122:1565-1572. pdf DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0706.2013.00298.x, reply DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0706.2013.00790.x
15. Sedio, B** and A Ostling (2013) How specialized must natural enemies be to facilitate coexistence among plants? Ecology Letters 16:995-1003 pdf DOI: 10.1111/ele.12130 Online publication date: June, 2013 (Note Sedio is advised by C. Dick, but I served on his dissertation committee and was his main advisor for this theoretical paper.)
16. D’Andrea, R**, G Barabás **, and A Ostling (2013) Revising the tolerance-fecundity tradeoff, or On the consequences of discontinuous resource use. American Naturalist 181: E91-E101. DOI: 10.1086/669902 pdf supp_appA supp_appB supp_appC supp_appD
17. Messinger, S** and A Ostling (2013) The influence of host reproduction, host death, and pathogen virulence on the evolution of pathogen transmission in a spatial context. Evolutionary Ecology 27:353-380. DOI: 10.1007/s10682-012-9594-y pdf Online publication: August, 2012.
18. Barabás, G**, R D`Andrea**, and A Ostling (2013) Species packing in nonsmooth competition models. Theoretical Ecology 6: 1-19. DOI: 10.1007/s12080-011-0151-z pdf Online publication: January, 2012.
19. Zhang, D Y, B Y Zhang, K Lin, X Jiang, Y Tao, S Hubbell, F He, and A Ostling (2012) Demographic tradeoffs determine species abundance and diversity. Journal of Plant Ecology 5:82-88. DOI: 10.1093/jpe/rtr039 pdf
21. Barabás, G **, G Meszéna, and A Ostling (2012) Community robustness and limiting similarity in periodic environments. Theoretical Ecology 5:265-282. DOI: 10.1007/s12080-011-0127-z pdf Online publication date: May 2011.
22. Ostling, A (2012a) Do fitness-equalizing tradeoffs lead to neutral communities? Theoretical Ecology 5:181-194. DOI: 10.1007/s12080-010-0107-8 pdf supplementary material Online publication date: Jan, 2011.
23. Brym, Z T***, J K Lake*, Allen, D, and A Ostling (2011) Plant functional traits suggest novel ecological strategy for an invasive shrub in an understory woody plant community. Journal of Applied Ecology 48: 1098-1106. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2664.2011.02049.x pdf
25. Messinger, S** and A Ostling. (2009) The consequences of spatial structure for pathogen evolution. The American Naturalist 174:441-454. pdf
26. Morlon, H, White, E, Etienne, R, Green, J, Ostling, A, Alonso, D, Enquist, B, He, F, Hurlbert, A, Magurran, A, Maurer, B, McGill, B, Olff, H, Storch, D, and T Zillio (2009) Taking species abundance distributions beyond individuals. Ecology Letters 12:488-501. pdf
27. O’Dwyer, J P, J K Lake*, A. Ostling, V M Savage, and J L Green (2009) An integrative framework for stochastic, size-structured community assembly. PNAS 106:6170-6175. pdf supplemental Recommended by Faculty of 1000.
28. Ballantyne, F, D Menge, A Ostling, and P Hosseini. (2008) Nutrient recycling affects autotroph and ecosystem stochiometry. American Naturalist 171: 511-523. pdf
29. Alonso, D*, A Ostling, and R Etienne. (2008) The assumption of symmetry and species abundance distributions. Ecology Letters 11:93-105. pdf 7sup1 sup2 (Note authorship on this paper was ordered by our relative contributions.)
30. McGill, B, R S Ettiene, J Gray, D Alonso, M J Anderson, H K Benecha, M Dornelas, B J Enquist, J L Green, F He, A Hurlbert, A E Magurran, P A Marquet, B A Maurer, A Ostling, C U Sokyan, K Ugland, and E White (2007) Species abundance distributions: Moving beyond single prediction theories to integration within an ecological framework. Ecology Letters 10: 995-1015. pdf
31. Carey, S, A Ostling, J Harte, and R del Moral. (2007) Impact of curve construction and community dynamics on the species-time relationship. Ecology 88: 2145-2153. pdf
32. Ostling, A (2005) Neutral theory tested by birds. Nature 436: 635. (News and Views) pdf
33. Harte, J, E Conlisk, A Ostling, J L Green, and A B Smith. (2005) A theory of spatial-abundance and species-abundance distributions in ecological communities at multiple spatial scales. Ecological Monographs 75: 179-197. pdf
34. Harte, J, A Ostling, J L Green, and A P Kinzig. (2004) Climate Change and Extinction. Nature 430: Brief Communications. pdf
35. Ostling, A, J Harte, J L Green, and A P Kinzig. (2004) Self-similarity, the power-law form of the species-area relationship, and a probability rule: A reply. The American Naturalist 163: 627-633. pdf
36. Brose, U, A Ostling, K Harrison, and N D Martinez. (2004) Unified spatial scaling of species and their trophic interactions. Nature 428:167-171. pdf
37. Green, J L, and A Ostling. (2003) Endemics-area relationships: the influence of species dominance and spatial aggregation. Ecology 84: 3090-3094. pdf
38. Ostling, A, J Harte, J L Green, and A P Kinzig. (2003) A community-level fractal property produces power-law species-area relationships in nature. Oikos 103: 218-224. pdf
39. Green, J L, J Harte, and A Ostling. (2003) Species richness, endemism and abundance patterns: tests of two fractal models in a serpentine grassland Ecology Letters 6: 919-928. pdf
40. Harte, J, T Blackburn, and A Ostling. (2001) Self-similarity and the relationship between abundance and range size. The American Naturalist 157:374-386. pdf
41. Green, J L, J Harte, and A Ostling. (2001) Global warming, temperature homogenization and species extinction, in Biotic Homogenization, Lockwood, J. and M. McKinney, editors, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers (2001). pdf
43. Sardesai M, C Figge, M Bodner, M Crosby, J Hansen, J A Quillfeldt, S Landau, A Ostling, S Vuong, and G L Shaw. (2001) Reliable short-term memory in the trion model: toward a cortical language and grammar. Biological Cybernetics 84:173-182.